Wednesday, June 29, 2011

financial strength


Stephanie sent me an interesting article several weeks ago that polled our generation and found that the majority is actually empowered by debt. I, for one, do not like to live with debt hanging over my head. It’s limiting! Then, as I thought about it further, I do enjoy having and meeting financial goals. It makes me feel grown up. Perhaps how you view debt is a matter of perspective.

So how did I react to this article and the fact that I am nearing the halfway point in the year and getting closer to no debt? I decided to buy a car (even though my car was paid off). Oddly enough, it didn’t feel like a setback. Rather it felt reassuring that I could keep my existing goals for the year with credit card debt and just extend into the next year with car loan debt. The plusses outweighed the minuses. I wouldn’t have to throw money into repairs on a ten year old car (and believe me I have paid quite a bit in three short years), I wouldn’t have to do my car registration renewal in July since the dealership would take care of that for me, and I earned an excellent interest rate on my loan! The payment after trade in and three years of payment (made by Sean during his lease agreement) left me with small payments in just a short period.

What makes money management and meeting financial goals feel good?

I can…
Have faith that God will provide for basic needs.
Choose to make wise financial decisions.
Seek to achieve personal financial goals by living within means, controlling spending habits, and continually looking for ways to save.
Invest back into the kingdom to see God’s fruitfulness.

No comments: