Wednesday, January 11, 2012

welcome, 2012!

As is my nature, I am running a little behind. I have so much to share with regards to October festivities, what Thanksgiving means to me, Christmastime cheer, and new years resolutions! I have been better with punctuality this year in general, but when I sink back into old habits, I have to rationalize by saying it's just in my nature. Even my birth date was delayed! I could've been a New Year's Eve baby, but when contemplating 1982 vs 1983, I went with being fashionably late in 1983 and wasn't the first baby that day either. It's just who I am. Nonetheless, I still feel special. :)

Last year's resolutions were again a success. While I didn't accomplish or succeed at all of them, I kept them in mind throughout the year and enjoyed 2011.

I took more photographs thanks to my camera phone. I finished a few books: The Housekeeper and the Professor, The Time Traveler's Wife. I did not get to take a mother-daughter trip this year, but I did get to spend time with my parents in Townsend, for breakfasts, perusing used bookstores, and taking walks in the neighborhood. I did not learn to play the piano yet, but I have gotten really great at playing the invisible piano on my steering wheel as I drive. I took a trip somewhere new to Seattle and Portland with Sean, and I would love to go back. I've tried new recipes and enjoyed them: blueberry pancakes from scratch, broccoli quinoa with chicken, gouda stuffed chicken breasts with potatoes au gratin, homemade pizzas, etc. We've had celebrations at our house this year with bonfires and bridal showers. We've had girls' nights and craft nights and nights to watch The Bachelor. I finished one piece of artwork from my long list of pending projects (and I use the word finish lightly because I'd like to go back and tweak it still). I was more organized. I purged belongings and made trips throughout the year to the Goodwill dropoff. I recycled more. I did not donate blood or find a service organization. I stayed healthy on the whole and excersized more with yoga. I slept better. I did blog more than the previous year, with the end of 2011 being the exception. I did seem to put myself out there more and met new people. I have been studying more and have kept a more positive outlook on life. I feel it affected me most in that I felt more observant of the little things around me and the people who needed help. I felt more outward than inward and that was probably the greatest success of the year.

Here’s my modified carryover list from last year's New Year’s “resolutions”:

1. Take more photographs.
2. Read more often. Currently on the list: Rules of Civility, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay, World War Z, The Language of Flowers, The Help, The Time Traveler's Wife
3. Plan a special mother-daughter event. Would still love to do a trip to Chicago...
4. Take my dad out to breakfast each month.
5  Take a trip somewhere new. This year I’m thinking of possibly going to Savannah or Charlston with the roommates.
6.  Support Jackie Chapman on her journey.
7.  Help organize social events: maybe a book trade party, dinner party, girls' night/craft night
8.  Try a new recipe each week. I have three new cookbooks to choose from: Home Made, Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen, and Apples for Jam.
9.  Finish art projects: a wedding portrait for Charles and Jen, a portrait for Angela of she and her dad, a painting for Sean and one for his parents' house, clay nativity set, oval sihouette paintings, wedding day painting of my mom, etc.
10.  Stay consistent with excersize (yoga) and consider a running program or strength training class.
11.  Blog/write/think/pray
12.  Try to stay positive (be less critical, stressed, or overwhelmed).
13.  Eliminate debt by year end 2012. With my planning, I think I can accomplish this by September!

This list feels a little more inward-focused than last, but I guess I'm feeling a little desperate to accomplish as much as I can in the last year of my 20s and enjoy as much as I can. I'm reminded much too often that life is short, NOT that I'm too old, and I don't want to miss an opportunity.

No comments: