Monday, March 12, 2012

yoga

Nearly a year ago, I started taking yoga classes. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've found that it has been very helpful! While I don't grasp onto the spiritual aspect of it (and class is more about the positions than anything else), there are several reasons why I have enjoyed it:
- the reminder to breathe 
When we started class, Raechel would constantly remind me to breathe when in positions. When concentrating or stressing out, I tend to hold my breath. I started noticing this while sitting at my desk during the work day. Not ideal. Especially when I get headaches almost daily and migraines about weekly. Breathing has been a good habit to get into :)
- maintaining better posture  
I sit at my desk for about 8 hours everyday, leaning toward mycomputer screen. As such, I do not have the best posture in the world. As time goes on in class, I can feel straightening of my spine and have also become more aware of how I'm sitting duringthe day.
- flexibility    
I am able to try and hold new positions weekly. More than that, I feel more able to handle multiple things simultaneously in life without over-stressing.
- awareness 
It has been important to take the time to slow down when everything goes by so quickly...and find energy when lacking. Coffee, while great, can only do so much.
- building strength and balance  
I'm not a huge weight lifter, and I still struggle with balance. That said, I feel like I'm getting better!

No comments: