Thursday, December 30, 2010

new beginnings

I must admit, I have a pretty amazing birthday. I get to start each year off thinking about the prior years in review as well as plans for the upcoming year…all with a little celebratory fireworks, noisemakers, perhaps a Happy New Year tiara, and parades.

In years past, there was a lot of speculating what I’d like to see happen and what I’d like to expect in the upcoming year. Last year and this year, I’ve changed that up just a bit with what things that I enjoy that I’d like to do in the year and how I can make the year count, not only for myself but for those I love and care about. The overall themes I'm planning for the upcoming year are to enjoy life, try to enrich myself with things that are important, and to make a difference. I’d say last year was a success…and I’m looking forward to 28.

Here’s my carryover list from last year's New Year’s “resolutions” and a few new ones:

1. Take more photographs.
2. Read a new book each month. Don't buy any new books until one is finished.
3. Plan a special mother-daughter event. Maybe we can do a trip to Chicago...
4. Take my dad out to breakfast each month.
5. Learn to play the piano.
6. Take a trip somewhere new. This year I’m thinking of possibly going to Savannah or Charlston with the roommates.
7. Try a new recipe each month.
8. Throw a dinner party.
9. Host a girl's night.
10. Treat myself to one thing each month.
11. Paint at least 4 paintings.
12. Complete an art piece for Angela.
13. Draw a picture of Charles and Jen from their wedding.
14. Start journaling and/or blogging and update semi-often.
15. Stay consistent with devotionals. Go through a study. Dedicate a time.
16. Try to stay positive (be less critical, stressed, or overwhelmed).
17. Be more organized.
18. Eliminate debt by year end 2011.
19. Make conscious health decisions. Drink more water. Eat healthier. Floss daily.
20. Exercise regularly (6 days a week) to avoid getting sick. Do a cardio activity at least 3 times a week.
21. Make a habit of getting more sleep at night.
22. Be more social. Attempt to find out at least one new thing about someone every day.
23. Smile at strangers and make eye contact. Smile more in general.
24. Learn to be punctual.
25. Send out cards to friends/family more often.
26. Find a service project to get involved with (womens clinic, homeless clinic, humane society, etc.).
27. Donate blood.

I'm excited about what 2011 has in store for me!

No comments: