Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Oh, October

Go he said,
Until rock gives way to sea, gives ways to
Salt and air and the elements all–
Until feet touch land that creaks, melts and sighs.
Rippling, crashing, splitting beneath you,
Its tired arms open to the cold of night–
Everything frozen, everything hushed.
And then, with eyes at rest, look closely.
Closer.
Closer still,
And in that moment, you will find me–
Indeed you will see.
(Anthropologie)

There are many reasons why October is my favorite month. I love that it's no longer uncomfortably hot outside. I love that my hair will stay curled for more than a minute without humidity. I love the smells. I love pumpkin pies and apple pies, caramel apples, hot soups, and smores around the bonfire. I love the change of colors as the leaves start to fall. I love sweaters and boots. I love the energy that surges as the year starts to wrap up. The holidays are coming, and that means remembering how thankful I am for family and friendships. October, specifically, is just before it starts to get hectic, but yet still, is usually packed with fun activities. On the list for this month is a hike to somewhere undecided, a pumpkin patch a little more outside of Nashville this year, a birthday party, a wedding, a family birthday, a likely addition to the family this month as I gain another neice, and a fall festival. I'd love to fit in a movie at a drive-in theater, a bonfire, a few extra walks and visits to the dog park with Easton, and maybe a few last cookouts. I'm thrilled that Sean is as much a fan of October as I am, and even more thrilled that it's his favorite! We got to start our month off with a spooky thriller as is his tradition. He also doesn't oppose to me filling the schedule with all sorts of outdoor events. Instead we share an enthusiasm for just getting out and going, experiencing as much as possible, and sharing it with someone we care about. 

1 comment:

Nana said...

Sounds like L-O-V-E is in the air!