Thursday, October 6, 2011

prayer

What do you do when you are faced with a conflict in life?


These last few weeks, my heart has been heavy with prayer.The heartaches around me range from prenatal complications, adoption journeys, and health complications to needs for financial and emotional well-being. My initial response is usually overwrought with fear and anxiety, worry and concern, and a loss for words, but what I've come to rely on is a simple, "I can pray about it." When faced with something outside our control, it makes personal experiences feel very real and the need for God even more real. I think that faith, at least, makes our struggles a little less scary. To pray and trust that our needs are met or will be met takes an overwhelming amount of faith. 


It's not particularly enjoyable to wake up at 2 am or 4am, but it's not as bad when there's so much on my mind to pray about. It's also key for me to remember that if I don't take advantage of these moments when it's typically quiet (at night and when I'm getting ready for work), I'll tend to forget. Being able to release these worrisome thoughts of difficult situations that others' are experiencing right now and instead place confidence in Christ is a relief in so many ways. It brings security and comfort, and is for me, the exact opposite of my initial response. 


I don't kneel or talk outloud usually; it's more of a conversation in my head, just not with myself. As humans, I believe we crave connections. We weren't created to be alone. Having the chance to even approach God with our thoughts and concerns, however minute, is unfathomable when you consider all that is going on in the world at a given moment. That said, I don't doubt that my prayers are heard. When I pray, I feel uniquely connected with His heart, character, and purpose.  


The other day, as I was responding to a group text message requesting prayer (unknowingly responding to the entire group), I received a response back from someone saying, "Thank you! Who is this?" It turned out that that same exact morning they were in the same situation needing prayer and comfort. When I feel like there's no way to help, God always shows Himself in one miraculous way or another, bringing people together in unique ways, giving us hope when we're hopeless, and providing answers.  

No comments: